A warm welcome to...

Chagford Local History Society

Nos. 2 & 4 The Square

In the 20th and 21st centuries, numbers 2 and 4 The Square are the premises of the NatWest Bank.

 Lower Square 1a    Lower Square 1b
             2-4 The Square circa 2000                          Viv Cockram, Trudie Rundle, Julie Jeffery (2000)

2 The Square appears in the 1901 Census as Bedford House:

     The Square, Bedford House.
     James Jackman 57 Grocer,
     Susan 47 Draper
     Daughter Kate 21 Draper
     Hilda 13 Bernard 7
     Emma Burden 42 Draper's Assistant,
     Jessie Stoneman 15 General Servant

Lower part of The Square circa 1900, showing the old forge and the fountain
Lower part of The Square circa 1900, showing No. 2 on the left, the old forge (horses outside) and the fountain.

The old photograph shows the shop on the left. Edna Rowe remembers Bernard Jackman, who ran the shop after his father James. They sold Gilbey's Port, hence the name. She also recalls Gilbey's Port was 3s 6d a bottle. Mrs Jackman was American and they bought Dartmoor Lodge (present Galleries). After Gilbeys it became Merrifield's, a chemist's shop, which later moved to Cannon House.

No. 4 The Square used to be a three storey house, where a former manager of the bank lived, Tony Brown. 
Before that William and Doreen Box lived at No 4. 
The Jeffery family lived here for some time previous to this. Ken Jeffery was manager of International Stores in the Square. He followed his father, Donald, a postman and tailor. Donald was the son of Alf, also a tailor, who lived at 22 and 24 The Square.Before that William and Doreen Box lived at No 4.The Jeffery family lived here for some time previous to this. Ken Jeffery was manager of International Stores in the Square. He followed his father, Donald, a postman and tailor. Donald was the son of Alf, also a tailor, who lived at 22 and 24 The Square.